A cold brew tea bottle is a purpose-built vessel designed for making and storing cold-brewed tea in the most hassle-free way possible. Cold brewing is a method of infusing tea in cold or room temperature water for an extended period of time, usually several hours, instead of using hot water for a shorter steeping time.
Cold brew tea is known for its smooth, mellow flavor and reduced bitterness compared to traditionally brewed hot tea. It's a refreshing option, especially during hot weather, and can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, making it convenient for on-the-go hydration or a delicious alternative to other cold beverages.
Benefits of cold brewing vs. hot brewing:
- While hotter water temperatures extract all the flavonoids from the tea leaves, including the bitterness, cold-brewing only extracts the sweet, umami, mellow compounds.
- Cold-brew tea is a lot smoother because the flavor is slowly extracted over several hours.
- Cold-brewing is a great way to incorporate the health benefits of tea into a chilled, thirst-quencher that one can chug in larger quantities
- It's way too easy. It is literally tea + water + pop in the fridge, and doesn't require the same precision in time and temperature as hot brews do, because the lower water temperature is less likely to result in a bitter infusion.
Some of our favorite teas to cold brew are:
- Jade Dew Gyokuro, for the thickest, most complex and umami green tea liqueur
- White Peach Tie Guan Yin Oolong tea for a refreshing alternative to an artificially flavored sugary drink
- Gardenia or Jasmine Dragonpearl green teas for something more floral
- Da Hong Pao for a roasty yet refreshing thirst quencher that pairs beautifully with spicy or oily food.
The cold brew tea bottle typically consists of the following components:
Bottle or container: The main part of the cold brew tea bottle is a transparent bottle made of heat-resistant glass, with a wide mouth that allows ease of cleaning.
- No restrictive infuser will trap your leaves in this bottle, as the entire capacity of the bottle is available to the tea leaves to swim and dance around in, and open up freely within.
- Lid: The lid is made of rubber, and is easy to remove / pop back on.
Strainer: This bottle has a removable strainer plugged into the lid, which will hold back the leaves and allow you to pour your cold-brew infusion directly into a glass. This strainer is almost entirely hidden, thus allowing you to observe and appreciate the leaves and the color of your cold brew tea.
- Every component of this bottle is dishwasher safe.
How to use a cold brew tea bottle:
Remove the green rubber part of the bottle.
- Place tea leaves into the bottle. We recommend around 10 grams.
Fill the bottle with cold or room temperature water.
Close the lid securely.
Allow the tea to steep in the refrigerator for the desired amount of time (typically 6-72 hours)
Enjoy the cold-brewed tea either as it is or with added ice. You can always experiment and use strong cold-brews in cocktails and mocktails as well!